Why it is important
How well your lungs take in and release air is a predictor of longevity. Breathing techniques can help to manage stress. Controlled breathing help decrease feelings of anxiety. It helps to lower blood pressure and heart rate, which can reduce wear and tear on blood vessels. Controlled breathing when used to facilitate meditation stimulates brain growth. Deep breathing stimulates the Vagus nerve which has shown to decrease chronic inflammation, which again can help to prevent common diseases and medical conditions as well as to reduce chronic pain.
Recommended How-To articles
|I practice yoga, meditation or do breathing exercises regularly.|
|I breathe deep with a relaxed and steady pace every day.|
|I do not hold in my stomach and breathe shallow to look slim.|
Discuss this health aspect with others. Ask questions and get answers.
Your private notes on breathing
Send me reminder on email
Category: Physical healthResearch
-  Schunemann HJ, Dorn J, Grant BJB, Winkelstein W, Jr., Trevisan M. Pulmonary Function Is a Long-term Predictor of Mortality in the General Population 29-Year Follow-up of the Buffalo Health Study. Chest 2000;118(3)656-664. View
-  Elvira V. Lang, Kevin S. Berbaum, Salomao Faintuch, et al.. Adjunctive self-hypnotic relaxation for outpatient medical procedures: A prospective randomized trial with women undergoing large core breast biopsy.. Pain. 2006.
-  Malow, BA; Edwards, J; Marzec, M; Sagher, O; Fromes, G (2000). "Effects of vagus nerve stimulation on respiration during sleep: A pilot study". Neurology 55 (10): 1450–4. doi:10.1212/wnl.55.10.1450. PMID 11094096. View
-  Anderson DE, McNeely JD, Chesney MA, Windham BG. Breathing variability at rest is positively associated with 24-h blood pressure level. Am J Hypertens. 2008 Dec;21(12):1324-9. doi: 10.1038/ajh.2008.292. Epub 2008 Sep 25. View
-  Chacko N. Joseph, Cesare Porta, Gaia Casucci, Nadia Casiraghi, Mara Maffeis, Marco Rossi, Luciano Bernardi – “Slow Breathing Improves Arterial Baroreflex Sensitivity and Decreases Blood Pressure in Essential Hypertension” - Hypertension. 2005;46:714-718. View
-  Sara W. Lazar et al., “Meditation Experience Is Associated With Increased Cortical Thickness”, NeuroReport, 2005. View
-  Tracey, K.J. (2007). Physiology and immunologoy of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 117, 289-296.
-  Tracey, K.J., & Oke, S.L. The Inflammatory Reflex and the Role of Complementary and Alternative Medical Therapies. (2009) Longevity, Regeneration, and Optimal Health: Ann. N.Y. Academy of Sciencies, 1171 172-180.
-  Mehling, Wolf E., et al. (2005). Randomized, Controlled Trial of Breath Therapy for Patients with Chronic Low-back pain. Alternative Therapies, 11, 44-52.