Why it is important
Many diseases and conditions can be prevented or controlled through appropriate personal hygiene. Good hygiene is also helpful for personal appearance and improving self-image. Having dirty clothes, body odor or bad breath can lead to discrimination which over time can result in reduced well-being and even mental problems.
Recommended How-To articles
Discuss this health aspect with others. Ask questions and get answers.
Your private notes on personal hygiene
Send me reminder on email
Category: Environmental healthResearch
-  Body Hygiene - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. View
-  UK Department of Health. Essence of care: benchmarks for personal hygiene 2010. Available from: View
-  Liao Q, Cowling BJ, Lam WW, Fielding R (2011) The influence of social-cognitive factors on personal hygiene practices to protect against influenzas: using modelling to compare avian A/H5N1 and 2009 pandemic A/H1N1 influenzas in Hong Kong. Int J Behav Med. 2011 Jun; 18(2):93-104. View
-  Holt GR (2012) Importance of personal hygiene techniques in public health. South Med J. 2012 Jan; 105(1):5.
-  Griffiths J. (1998) Meeting personal hygiene needs in the community: a district nursing perspective on the health and social care divide. Health Soc Care Community. 1998 Jul; 6(4):234-240.
-  Weyant R. (2009 ) Interventions based on psychological principles improve adherence to oral hygiene instructions. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2009 Mar; 9(1):9-10.
-  Newton JT (2010) Psychological models of behaviour change and oral hygiene behaviour in individuals with periodontitis: a call for more and better trials of interventions. J Clin Periodontol. 2010 Oct; 37(10):910-1.