Why it is important
Proper body alignment keeps your bones strong and healthy. It puts less stress on the spine. Good posture helps to avoid osteoporosis and headaches. A slouched body posture can lead to feelings of depression or decreased energy. Sitting in a collapsed position looking downward, it is easier to recall hopeless, helpless, powerless, and negative memories, than empowering, positive memories. Slouching can affect how people see you. Good posture radiates confidence, health and vitality. When adopting high power poses we increase feelings of dominance, risk-taking behavior, power, action orientation, pain tolerance, and actual testosterone. High power poses reduce anxiety and stress. A slouched posture can also contribute to digestive problems, including acid reflux, constipation, and hernias.
Recommended How-To articles
Discuss this health aspect with others. Ask questions and get answers.
Your private notes on posture
Send me reminder on email
Category: Physical healthResearch
-  Peper E., Lin I-Mei (2012) Increase or Decrease Depression: How Body Postures Influence Your Energy Level. Biofeedback: Fall 2012, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 125-130. View
-  Novak, J. Improve your posture. improveyourposture.com View
-  Cuddy, Amy J.C., Caroline A. Wilmuth, and Dana R. Carney. "The Benefit of Power Posing Before a High-Stakes Social Evaluation." Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 13-027, September 2012. View
-  Gorter, R. & Peper, E. (2011). Fighting cancer-A nontoxic approach to treatment. Berkeley: North Atlantic Books. View
-  Steven Weiniger, Stand Taller — Live Longer. View
-  Hill, D.L. (2013) Good Posture For Strong Bones - View
-  Mongini, F., Evangelista, A., Milani, C., Ferrero, L., Ciccone, G., Ugolini, A., … Galassi, C. (2012). An Educational and Physical Program to Reduce Headache, Neck/Shoulder Pain in a Working Community: A Cluster-Randomized Controlled Trial. PLoS ONE, 7(1), e29637. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0029637. View