Why it is important
Self-affirmation supports sustained happiness and meaning. Self-affirmation operates as part of a psychological immune system. Self-affirmation can improve problem-solving performance during stress. Self-affirmation bolsters one’s self-image and helps us deal with threats to our self-integrity.
Recommended How-To articles
Discuss this health aspect with others. Ask questions and get answers.
Your private notes on self affirmation
Send me reminder on email
Category: Spiritual healthResearch
-  Creswell JD, Dutcher JM, Klein WMP, Harris PR, Levine JM (2013) Self-Affirmation Improves Problem-Solving under Stress. PLoS ONE 8(5): e62593. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0062593
-  L. Legault, T. Al-Khindi, M. Inzlicht. Preserving Integrity in the Face of Performance Threat: Self-Affirmation Enhances Neurophysiological Responsiveness to Errors. Psychological Science, 2012; DOI: 10.1177/0956797612448483
-  Steele, C. (1988). The psychology of self-affirmation: Sustaining the integrity of the self. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 21, pp. 261-302). New York, NY: Academic Press.
-  Nelson, S. K., Fuller, J. A. K., Choi, I., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2014). Beyond self-protection: Self-affirmation benefits hedonic and eudaimonic well-being. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 40, 998-1011. View
-  Gilbert, D. T., Pinel, E. C., Wilson, T. D., Blumberg, S. J., & Wheatley, T. P. (1998). Immune neglect: A source of durability bias in affective forecasting. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 617-638.
-  Sherman, D. K., & Hartson, K. A. (2011). Reconciling selfprotection with self-improvement: Self-affirmation theory. In M. D. Alicke & C. Sedikides (Eds.), Handbook of selfenhancement and self-protection (pp. 128-151). New York, NY: Guilford Press.