Why it is important
Sexual health is associated with happiness, longevity, and well-being. Sex eases stress levels. Studies suggest it can improve mood and combat anxiety. It improves sleep. Sex strengthens the immune system which can reduce the number of days you are sick. Research suggests a link between sex and lower blood pressure. Older adults who have sex tend to feel healthier. It can act as exercise and a good sex life helps to keep your estrogen and testosterone levels in balance.
I have a condition or situation that prevents me from having a sex life.
This health aspect may be seen as highly sensitive and personal. Even if we or any of our users will ever be able to see your answer we have added this checkbox to make it easier for you to skip this health aspect if you are uncomfortable rating it.
Discuss this health aspect with others. Ask questions and get answers.
Your private notes on sex life
Send me reminder on email
Category: Emotional healthResearch
-  Leuner B, Glasper ER, Gould E (2010) Sexual experience promotes adult neurogenesis in the hippocampus despite an initial elevation in stress hormones. PLoS One 5:e11597. View
-  Chronic stress puts your health at risk - mayoclinic.org. View
-  Ulrich-Lai, Y. M., Christiansen, A. M., Ostrander, M. M., Jones, A. A., Jones, K. R., Choi, D. C., … Herman, J. P. (2010). Pleasurable behaviors reduce stress via brain reward pathways. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 107(47), 20529–20534. doi:10.1073/pnas.1007740107. View
-  Burleson MH, Trevathan WR, Todd M (2007) In the mood for love or vice versa? Exploring the relations among sexual activity, physical affection, affect, and stress in the daily lives of mid-aged women. Arch Sex Behav 2007 Jun; 3(36):357-68 PMID: 17109236. View
-  Paul KN, Turek FW, Kryger MH. (2008) Influence of sex on sleep regulatory mechanisms. Womens Health (Larchmt). 2008 Sep;17(7):1201-8. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2008.0841. Review. PMID: 18710368. View
-  Charnetski CJ, Brennan FX. (2004). Sexual frequency and salivary immunoglobulin A (IgA). Psychological reports, 94(), 839-44. View
-  Lindau ST, Schumm LP, Laumann EO, et al. A Study of Sexuality and Health among Older Adults in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007;357:762-74. View
-  Brody S. Blood pressure reactivity to stress is better for people who recently had penile-vaginal intercourse than for people who had other or no sexual activity. Biological Psychology, 2006;71:214-22. View
-  Palmore EB. Predictors of the longevity difference: a 25-year follow-up. Gerontologist. 1982;22:513–8.