I drink water or healthy alternatives throughout the day (8+ cups for men).
I restrict consumption of alcohol to one glass of wine a day.
I don't drink more than 4 cups of coffee or black tea a day.
I don't get overly drunk.
I drink fluids before I get thirsty.
I drink extra if I am exercising, if I am sick or if it is very hot.
Discuss this health aspect with others. Ask questions and get answers.
Private notes on 'water intake'
All the cells and organs need water to function. Good hydration helps rid the body of toxins and prevent chronic diseases. It helps to maintain good kidney function. Increased water intake appears to decrease the risk of kidney stone. Water deprivation can lead to headache in addition to impairing concentration and increasing irritability. Dehydration when exercising has shown to reduce motivation, increase fatigue and make exercise feel more difficult.
-  Manz F, Wentz A. Hydration status in the United States and Germany. Nutr Rev. 2005;63:S55–62. View
-  Manz F, Wentz A. The importance of good hydration for the prevention of chronic diseases. Nutr Rev. 2005;63:S2–5. View
-  The effects of fluid restriction on hydration status and subjective feelings in man. Shirreffs SM, Merson SJ, Fraser SM, Archer DT. Br J Nutr. 2004 Jun; 91(6):951-8. View
-  Spigt MG, Kuijper EC, Schayck CP, et al. Increasing the daily water intake for the prophylactic treatment of headache: a pilot trial. Eur J Neurol. 2005;12:715–718. View
-  Minimum urine total solute concentration in response to water loading in normal men. SCHOEN EJ. J Appl Physiol. 1957 Mar; 10(2):267-70. View
-  Voluntary dehydration and cognitive performance in trained college athletes. D'anci KE, Vibhakar A, Kanter JH, Mahoney CR, Taylor HA. Percept Mot Skills. 2009 Aug; 109(1):251-69. View
-  A drink of water can improve or impair mental performance depending on small differences in thirst. Rogers PJ, Kainth A, Smit HJ. Appetite. 2001 Feb; 36(1):57-8. View
-  Popkin, B. M., D’Anci, K. E., & Rosenberg, I. H. (2010). Water, Hydration and Health. Nutrition Reviews, 68(8), 439–458. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2010.00304.x. View
-  The Journal of Nutrition: Armstrong, L.E. et al, Mild Dehydration Affects Mood in Healthy Young Women, Dec. 2011, vol. 142 no. 2 382-388. View
-  Bao Y, Wei Q. Water for preventing urinary stones. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;6 CD004292. View